I was thinking the other day about how our lives depend on comparisons and how we compare ourselves to other people all the time! We drive down the street and glance over at the nice new car someone else is driving and say, "Man that's a nice car, wish my car could compare." Think of how many times you compare yourself with someone else each day. I say things all the time like "I'd never do that like them." or "I would do it differently in comparison." Which is absolutely true. We are all different and there really is no comparison. Yet why do we do it?
It is even in our Declaration of Independence: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness." Can you believe that this is one of the things the nations of the world struggles with the most? We as Americans don't want to be equal, we want to be better than. England, France, Germany, Russia, China, North Korea... everyone wants to be better than or at least equal to. Just look at the struggle the homosexuals are having, they want to be equal to a married couple... (which is another topic into itself...).
I think the truth that God tells us in the Bible, tells us something we have yet to obtain.
Gal 3:28
"There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is no male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus."
This means that God views us all the same. I don't even know that I can comprehend this. We are all equal, He loves me just as much as Ted Bundy. Even though He loves us the same, we are obviously very different in the life choices we've made though. But we are equal in how we are given a chance to breath and a chance to have a relationship to our creator.
So now what? How do I figure out who I am without comparing myself to anybody? How should I live my life in equality? Is this even possible?!?!
7.09.2007
Equality.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Hm. I wonder if that question goes deeper than you think, Grant. You mention homosexuals in your post, and their struggle to be equal to married couples... what about you and them? Do you see yourself as equal?
ReplyDeleteThere's a desire in us to not acknowledge the condition we're in. We try to make some fundamental difference between us and the gay community, but there really isn't!!! We somehow believe in our family circle that we're OK and that gay people aren't, but #1 we're really not OK, and are more jacked up than we realize, and #2 in the eyes of God we're equal, so why don't we treat each other that way?
YIKES. if you follow this line of thought to its end, it's a scary, beautiful place of freedom and love and worship and rest under God's grace, but it sure doesn't look like what our parents taught us.
Anyway. Interesting, as I've been having this conversation myself.
I'm cool about your wedding, btw. ;) Just needed some time to get over myself.
Hey, any reason you didn't use wordpress? www.wordpress.com
ReplyDelete